Friday, September 14, 2007

Goodbye, My Friend

I lost a dear friend today amidst tragic circumstances. But first, let me take you back to last night...

------------------------------------
"I'm sorry, Love, I just can't find a stud," Prince Charming explained apologetically.

He was standing on the bed, moving the stud-finder back and forth under our popcorn ceiling.

"What should we do?" I asked.

"Well, let's try it without one," he answered.

I handed him the ceiling hook and he screwed it into the ceiling (with his bare hands--I was impressed). Then I handed him the edge of my new purchase: 4 yards of black fabric.

Charming attached the fabric to the ceiling hook and ever so gently let it go. The weight of the fabric easily pulled the hook out of the ceiling and it all toppled down.

"Uh-oh," I said.

Charming and I decided to bag our efforts for the evening. My lofty plans to hold Bubbers' five-month photo shoot in my makeshift "studio" weren't working out as well as I'd hoped...

------------------------------------
This morning, I was huffing and puffing to my step-aerobics tape when Charming popped his head into the family room.

Bubbers was in his walker back in the corner (carefully positioned so he couldn't watch the TV).

"Hi, Bubbers!" Charming cooed over at him.

Bubbers didn't even blink. All he did was stare at my flailing with a blank, open-mouthed expression. The tray on his walker was overflowing with toys, but he ignored them and steadily fixed his eyes on me.

"Hey, Little Man!" Charming tried again, getting closer and louder.

Bubbers started from his trance, glanced at his Dad momentarily then slowly, as if drawn by a powerful force, returned his gaze to me.

I don't look that bizarre... do I?

Defeated, Charming turned to me, "It's done!"

"What's done?"

"Your hooks," he explained, "I found a ceiling stud and they're all done--drilled and everything!"

"Thanks, Love!!"

That's my Prince!

------------------------------------
Things were falling into place! During Bubbers' nap, I hung my new black fabric over our bed and assembled my cameras.

"Happy 5 months!" I cooed, scooping him out of his crib after he woke up all smiles.

I carried him into Heidi's Studio (in the flesh!) and the photo-shoot began!



It was going along just perfectly!



I couldn't have been happier!



And that's when it happened.

My camera died. Right then and there. Kapoot. Frozen. No hope of return.

My dear friend and companion of over two years. A sweet graduation gift from Prince Charming. My first digital camera ever. The producer of thousands and thousands of treasured pictures. Gone just like that.

------------------------------------
"Please leave me a message after the beep."

Beep!

"Hey, Love, it's Heidi," I said into the phone, "You know how you were asking me what I wanted for my birthday? Well, I know what I want now, so gimme a call when you get the chance. Love you, bye."